Sunday 29 November 2009

Sexy Sunday Science

What I love the most about scientific study of human sex is the decidedly non-sexy language researchers tend to use: 'coitus', 'copulatory vocalisations', 'female orgasmic capacity' and the like. Mmm.

Ok, I know that the alternative would perhaps be even sillier and that this is not relevant to the validity of such studies but juvenile that I am, I couldn't help mentioning it.

So anyway, here are a couple of nice...tit bits...from recent research, presented at the International Society for Human Ethology Conference, Maine in July 2009:

The ease of orgasm from heterosexual penetrative sex in women is positively correlated with the ratio of first finger to third finger length - that is, the more that your third finger is longer than your first, the greater your 'coital orgasmic ability' (Lara Eschler, Cambridge University. I can't seem to find this as a published study, but she's a PhD student so I assume the data comes from her ongoing work).

Female orgasm during heterosexual vaginal intercourse is not correlated with the intensity of orgasmic vocalisation. Though greatest reported frequency of orgasm occurred during non-intercourse sexual activity, the greatest intensity of vocalisation occurred immediately prior to or during male orgasm (Brewer, Morgan and Hendrie - 'On the adaptive significance of female copulatory vocalisations', from the University of Central Lancashire and the University of Leeds - again as yet unpublished as far as I can tell).

3 comments:

  1. I could say something very silly here... but I imagine you're trying to keep this blog classy. So I'll keep my mouth shut! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tit bits. Heh.

    I enjoyed this post Sally! Is the first/third finger orgasm thing related to the testosterone/gay thing?

    Oh god, my overuse of 'thing' betrays my lack of science knowledge.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen - silliness is welcome :)

    Jeni - 2D:4D ratio seems to be an indicator for prenatal exposure to testosterone which in popular culture has translated to be an indicator for gayness...a quick google scholar search shows a few papers that seem to show an effect, but I haven't looked at them in any detail. In particular, interestingly it seems that 2D 4D and homosexuality correlation works generally for men but not women, and for gay women there's a correlation between the ratio and butch or femme self identity. Its a very hot research topic right now and so definitely worth keeping an eye on for more good stuff.

    ReplyDelete